We are a People
E pluribus unum (ee PLUR-ib-əs OO-nəm) – Latin: for “Out of many, one” – is a traditional motto of the United States, appearing on the Great Seal; its inclusion on the seal was approved by an Act of Congress in 1782.
Revival is awaiting us.
- The first revival of the Church waited for the people to be on one accord – Acts 2:1-2 (NKJV) – When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
We are called to be a people.
- Jesus’ great prayer – John 17:20-23 (NLT) -“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. 21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. 22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.
And what does this people, the people of God, look like?
- They’re diverse (eclectic) – 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 and Galatians 3:28 (NKJV) – There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
- They love one another – John 13:35 (NKJV) – “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- They’re longsuffering and forgiving – Ephesians 4:1-3 – I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, 2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, 3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- They understand their role on this team and are not jealous of each other – 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 and 13:4.
- They push each other up – Philippians 2:3-4 (NLT) – Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.
- And if they follow the Biblical model of a Godly team – they win! (Matthew 16:18)
And because we are a people, we partake of Holy Communion together.
- 1 Corinthians 10:16-18 (NLT) – When we bless the cup at the Lord’s Table, aren’t we sharing in the blood of Christ? And when we break the bread, aren’t we sharing in the body of Christ?17 And though we are many, we all eat from one loaf of bread, showing that we are one body. 18 Think about the people of Israel. Weren’t they united by eating the sacrifices at the altar?
- Communion definition – the Greek word Koinonia: fellowship, intimacy, intercourse – The deepest of human relationships.
We are called to become a “people” – not just an “individual” – then revival happens!
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – dhfirstag.org
- July 2023
- June 2023
- January 2022
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2018
- Losing Your Life in Christ to Save It (and Others too) July 23, 2023
- Deliverance Made Simple July 9, 2023
- Why Don’t People Listen?? June 25, 2023
- When the Son Becomes a Father – 6/18/2023 June 18, 2023