Transformed by the Spirit of God
Transformed by the Spirit of God – 1/16/2022
Transformation versus conformation.
- Romans 12:2 – And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what s that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Why has transformation not happened?
- Real transformation can only happen by the Holy Spirit – 2 Corinthians 3:17-18.
Transformation starts with receiving the Holy Spirit.
- Paul asks an interesting question – Acts 19:1-3 – And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”
- Paul is referencing Luke 3:16 – John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- This is also the state of the first disciples before Jesus returns to Heaven – Acts 1:5 – “…for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
- Somehow we are sealed by the Holy Spirit based off our confession of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior – Ephesians 1:13 – In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.
- Baptized was a word that the authors of the different Bible translations just took directly from the original Greek – it means to be immersed, submerged – to be completely overwhelmed.
- Right before Jesus ascends into Heaven, He tells His disciples wait for the promised baptism of the Holy Spirit Acts 1:4-5
- And is a result of being baptized by God’s Spirit (Acts 19:5-6), one is filled with God’s Spirit (Acts 2:4). Filled comes from a Greek word which was used in reference to the wind fully filling a sail on a boat.
There is tangible evidence of being filled with God’s Spirit.
- Throughout the Book of Acts we see tangible evidence of someone filled/baptized with the Holy Spirit. Tongues is part of the evidence in 3 of these 6 passages – Acts 2:4, 4:31, 8:14ff, 9:17ff, 10:44ff, 19:1-6.
This being filled with the Holy Spirit is a process not a one-time event thing!
- And not only are we filled one time, we are commanded to be continuously filled – Ephesians 5:18 (NKJV) – And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit.
- It’s a command – Greek word for filled here means to be an ongoing running back to the well – we are leaky
- Galatians 5:16, 25-26 – I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. …25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
- There is a daily war going on – 1 Corinthians 15:31 (NKJV) –I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
- And dying daily is a choice – Romans 8:5 – For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit –
And how does transformation look?
- Genesis 1:27 – So God created man in His own image …
- 2 Corinthians 3:17-18 (NKJV) –Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
- It’s a grace thing and this is why many struggle because depending on their flesh – Galatians 2:20 – I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
- Psalms 42:7 –Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
Awakening is the purpose of being filled with the Holy Spirit!
- In two cases where people receive/baptized/filled with the Holy Spirit we see awakening and revival take place – Acts 2:41 and Acts 19:17-20.
- But ultimately we are receiving the Holy Spirit to proclaim the Gospel with power – Acts 1:8 and Mark 16:17-18.
So how does this happen?
- Humble yourself because God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble (and you need grace) – 1 Peter 5:5
- Quit worrying what people might think about you – Galatians 1:10.
- Make a choice – choose life (Deuteronomy 30:19) and life more abundantly (John 10:10)
- Receive the Holy Spirit – Out of our bellies (the inner most part of man) shall flow rivers of living water – John 7:38.
The next 14 days:
- Spend at least a half hour each day with God:
- Worship music, prayer, reading a chapter each day from Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians and quietly listening for God’s voice in your spirit
- In two weeks we will pray for you to receive the Holy Spirit.
Your life will drastically change! Are you ready?
- January 2022
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2018