The Bible has much to say about our family.
- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. – Exodus 20:12
- Bear with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgive each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. – Colossians 3:13
- Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate. – Psalm 127:3-5
- Family is somewhere to turn to – they always have your back
Tragically, the family has come under heavy attack by the enemy in America.
- And we see that today – covid, election, and the enemy in divide mode – dividing family nucleus.
- Genesis 3:16– Then he said to the woman, “I will sharpen the pain of your pregnancy and in pain you will give birth. You will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you.” This was part of the curse of the initial sin.
- It continued in Genesis 4 with Cain killing Abel. Cain was jealous of Abel’s relationship with God almighty.
- Today, the schemes of the enemy divides the family nucleus, trying to replace it with earthly systems.
But God has a family also and our heavenly family takes precedence.
- We are to do things with our family in Christ. There is a friend closer than a brother.
- Christianity Today August 4, 2016 – Our Priorities Are Off When Family Is More Important Than Church.
- And this family is to be closer than your biological one – Galatians 6:10– Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.
- Luke 14:26– “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
- While the family of God does come first, doesn’t mean you forget about your Earthly family
So why is the Church family so important, especially now?
- How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! – Psalm 133:1
- Self-appointed Apostles and Prophets do not understand the purpose of the Body of Christ
- There is protection in the council of wise people – I don’t trust myself in these tricky times
- The power of three – Ecclesiastes 4:12– A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
- We each have a job to do –1 Corinthians 12:4– There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
- God will use His family to rescue your earthly family – do His stuff and He’s got your back. You are a forerunner
Today, we start a new canvas to draw a new picture – it’s a choice to be part of this new picture.