Upon this Rock I will build my Church.
- Matthew 16:18a- And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church.
- What was this rock Jesus was referring to? It was the revelation of who Jesus was – Matthew 16:15-16 – He (Jesus) said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
- This such an amazing revelation that Jesus changed Simon’s name to Peter – Petra the rock
- And the Church, the Ekklesia, Jesus would build with other rocks – Ephesians 2:20-22– Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself.21 We are carefully joined together in him, becoming a holy temple for the Lord. 22 Through him you Gentiles are also being made part of this dwelling where God lives by his Spirit.
- Genesis 11:3 they built the tower with bricks and slime/mortar – Bricks are manmade
- Rocks are God made – unless God builds a house they labor in vain – Psalms 127:1
The Rock is what holds back evil.
- And because of this statement – Matthew 16:18b – and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
- This is the instrument God will use to fight the enemy here on earth – 2 Thessalonians 2:7
- The Ekklesia is given the authority to do this – Luke 10:18-19– It’s a legal thing in spirit realm
- Saw Satan fall
The Rock is a giant killer.
- 1 Samuel 17:40 – Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd’s bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine.
- The Philistines are the arch enemy of God. A giant as an attack meant to overwhelm it’s opponent – not goofing around.
- 5 in scripture means Grace – 5 loaves, 50 jubilee, pentacost, 5 in the tabernacle, 5 ingredients anoint oil.
- Grace, the power of God to overcome a sinful world and it’s systems, is the only effective weapon to take down the big enemies of God.
This Rock will either make you or break you.
- Romans 9:30-33– What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone. 33 As it is written: “Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense, and whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”
- Humble people are people led by faith, not their intellect
- Originally from Isaiah 28:14-16 – Scoffing rulers in Jerusalem thought coming destruction could never touch them because of their brick buildings, but the Sovereign Lord was placing a firm foundation, stone. Whoever believes will never be shaken – build on that.
So how shall the Rock respond? How do we get on the right track? With hope!
- Sometimes we can see the schemes of the enemy by what he is attacking
- We are given the battle plan at the beginning of the Ekklesia, fellowship – Acts 2:42, 46– And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers… 46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart. We must build Koinonia (fellowship) and become the Ekklesia.
- Ekklesia (decisions makers) continue to rule until called home for a wedding – who wants to be a rock??