Salvation (means deliverance) is a two-part equation – The scripture that won the debate in my life.
- Ephesians 2:8-10 – For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
- Grace – The word in Greek is charis – which means grace, favor, thanks, divine influence
- In the teachings of Apostle Paul, grace is the power of God to overcome sin and a fallen world. Grace is free!
Now let’s talk about faith – Our Part of God’s Salvation Plan.
- So what is faith? – Faith is real and requires evidence, evidence outside our three-dimensional world – Hebrews 11:1 (NKJV) – Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
- Pistis – persuasion, ie credence, moral conviction – Romans 10:9 pisteuo – to believe is to have faith – strong connotation
- Romans 10:17– So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word (Rhema or living voice) of God.
- So it is not just about randomly applying any part of the written Word of God, but about God bringing a specific part of His Word to life right now to apply for a specific circumstance.
- In fact, it is impossible to please God without faith – Hebrews 11:6.
- We are all given a measure of faith – Romans 12:3 – measure – metron – degree or God-given amount
Thus faith requires a response.
- You weren’t saved just so you can make it into heaven. He has created us anew so we can do the good things he planned for us to do.
- God has saved us for His purpose – 2 Timothy 1:9 – who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.
- James 2:18-19, 23, 24, 26 – But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! … 23 … “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” … 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. … 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
- Different levels or measures of grace require different levels/measures of faith
- Then there’s good measure (Luke 6:38) and unlimited measure (John 3:34)
- Luke 6:38 – Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.
- We must act upon it – then get more – 5 talents (a certain amount of weight) end up with 11 talents – Matthew 25:28
How do we do this, walk by faith and not by sight?
- We walk like a child – Matthew 18:3-4 – Jesus said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”
- Like a child innocently knows nothing better than to trust their parents because of unconditional love