The Work of the Believer – pray against pride and put on salvation and righteousness – Isaiah 61:10
- Things are about to really break – there is no turning back
- How will the Church respond? Will it succumb to the divisive spirits at work in society – or will it rise above the circumstances?
Jesus’ upper lake tour – the Sea of Galilee
- Woman with the issue of blood healed because she believed – Mark 5:34
- Jarius, the synagogue ruler was told to not be afraid but only believe – Mark 5:36
- Jesus kicked out people who ridiculed Him and didn’t believe before raising Jarius’ daughter from the dead – Mark 5:40
- Jesus did little work in Nazareth because of unbelief. Unbelief is a counter agent to faith – Mark 6:5-6
- Jesus delegated His power to His disciples – anointed many sick and healed them – Mark 6:13
What are we to do?
- If I asked you what is the most important work of the Church, I will get different answers – worship, prayer, discipleship, evangelism
- John 6:29 – Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”
We have an identity issue.
- Many are dealing with identity issues in our culture today
- The Church is struggling with Identity – we don’t know who we are
- Matthew 16:13-14 – When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.”
- You are who God says you are – Matthew 16:15-17 – Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being.
- This is where we find our identity – so the same question to you, who do you say you are?
- We are joint-heirs with Christ – Romans 8:17– called to do even greater works.
- John 14:12– we are to be transformed into His very image and display His manifest glory to a hurting world – 2 Cor 3:17-18– Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
- THE MORE WE SURRENDER TO THE LORD’S PRESENCE, THE MORE WE DISPLAY HIS GLORY
It’s about a reckoning who you are.
- Have you Reckoned who You Are?
- Reckon – logizomai – count, take into account, consider, weight, reason – middle English word – from root word Logos – logical deduction
- God’s people are out of position
- Reasoned – Hebrews 11:19 – Abraham reckoned/reasoned that God could raise Isaac from the dead
- Conclude – Romans 3:28 – a man must reckon/conclude himself as justified by faith – not deeds
- Only a few places actually see the word reckon – Romans 6:11 – but a man must reckon himself as dead
The best defense is a good offense.
- When asked about the school shootings, my answer was the Church – Joel 2
- When we believe, we are the answer
- We have to become radical, the Ekklesia needs to change society
- Be the salt – Matthew 5:13 – You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.