Rocks are called to be leaders.
- Luke 19:40 – But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones/rocks would immediately cry out.”
- Palm Sunday, shouted Hosanna
What happens when the rocks become bricks?
- Genesis 11:3 they built the tower with bricks and slime/mortar – Bricks are man-made.
- Isaiah 28:14-16 – Jewish rulers never thought that the coming destruction could touch them because their brick buildings.
- Adversity has ramped up against the church.
- Where are the rocks today? It seems to be a vacuum, nobody knows what to do. They follow the crowd into a ditch (Luke 6:39 – the blind leading the blind).
- Bricks represent conformity to each other, the world. God wants transformation. Romans 12:1
- God will have a witness, a remanent – the rocks lead even when the crowd isn’t.
See this pattern with Elijah.
- Elijah had great victories at Mount Carmel and also ending the drought. 1 Kings 18:20-46
- Elijah, the man who the New Testament churches was to be modeled after, fell under fear. 1 Kings 19:1-2
- Jezebel the great enemy of the church caused Elijah to run for his life. It causes fear that causes division.
- The Lord said I have a remnant of people, 7,000 who will never Bow Down. 1 Kings 19:18
- 1 Kings 19:9-12– And there he went into a cave, and spent the night in that place; and behold, the word of the Lordcame to him, and He said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 10 So he said, “I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life.” 11 Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.
- In this place, Jehu and Elisha are put into place – kingly (apostle) and prophet offices come forth
Rocks make mountains. Mountains destroy the enemy.
- Daniel 2:35 and 45 … And the stone that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth. 45Inasmuch as you saw that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold—the great God has made known to the king what will come to pass after this. The dream is certain, and its interpretation is sure.”
- When rocks work together, they make mountains and mountains crush the enemy.
- 1 Peter 2:5 – you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
- This structure threatens the enemy. Ephesians 2:20-22 – having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
- When we come together, we become the dwelling place for our Holy God here on earth as it is in Heaven.