God loves community.
- Acts 2:42-communion service daily from house to house
- They broke bread/fellowshipped – they worshipped (fellowshipped = koinonia with God)
- While the early Church literally changed the world via fellowship, the fellowship was sustained with worship.
- They continued in doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayer (worship).
- 1 Corinthians 1:10– I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.
- Not a new covenant idea – Exodus 12– congregation, assembly – Psalms 133– unity
- Community is displayed to us at creation – Genesis 1:26– Let Us (Elohim) make man in our image/likeness
- We are called His sheep for many reasons but one is because they live in community
The enemy has attacked the community.
- Obviously, during this season the enemy has attacked the community. The body of Christ is community
- This is why we have the warning of Hebrews 10:25– not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as isthe manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
- The enemy has used, and continues to use fear to attack the community
- The enemy desires to scatter the sheep – Jeremiah 23:1-2– woe to shepherd/leaders who scatter my sheep
- When the sheep scattered they become more vulnerable
- Warning about coming against community – Ephesians 4:25-21
- Woe to those who negatively affect the community – 1 Corinthians 11:29– For he who eats and drinks (takes communion)in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body (community).
- 2 times there was an attack on community – Acts 5:1-11 and Acts 6:1
So how are we to achieve community?
- The covenant of marriage was meant to be the model of the Church – Ephesians 5:31-32– “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and thetwo shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
- Not my church – Be honest with yourself – get serious – Quit getting offended
- Understanding that God operates in the midst of community Genesis 11:6, Ephesians 4:1-3, 1 Corinthians 12:4-7
- The five-fold ministry was meant to be done in community – Ephesians 4:11-16– the new man
- The way we will overcome during this next season is in the midst of community
- Community is Worship! – (koinonia – fellowship) this communion 2 Corinthians 13:14or fellowship with God is exponentially more powerful. And when this happens He builds the Ecclesia, the Church – Matthew 16:18
- Community is kingdom – 1 Peter 2:9