The meaning of “on the wagon” and “off the wagon” – To be off the wagon is to be drinking, usually again after a period of sobriety. There are a few theories behind the origin of on the wagon, but the idiom likely comes from the early 20th-century American expression on the water-wagon, which meant one was drinking water instead of alcohol.
“Not sinning” is the default position for the believer.
- 1 John 2:1a (NLT) – My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.
Then why the provision for sin?
- 1 John 2:1b (NLT) – But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.
- Proverbs 6:16-19 (NKJV) – These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, 19 a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren.
- But there is another deadly sin, the sin of apathy – Revelation 3:16 (NKJV) – So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
It always about what you do next that matters.
- Proverbs 24:16 (NKJV) – For a righteous man may fall seven times and rise again, But the wicked shall fall by calamity.
- We are all in need of repentance – John 13:8 (NKJV) – Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”
What is your default? What are you practicing?
- 1 John 3:8-10 (NLT) – But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. 9 Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s lifeis in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God. 10 So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers[b] does not belong to God.
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NKJV) – But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
1 John 2:27 (NKJV) – But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.
- January 2022
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2018
- Transformed by the Spirit of God January 15, 2022
- What a Week! April 3, 2021
- Will You Go? March 27, 2021
- The Inconvenient God March 21, 2021