Hearing God’s Voice – Arguing with God
What are some of the way’s we argue with God:
Bugging God until we get the answer we want.
- God tells Balaam not to curse the Israelites – Numbers 22:12 (NLT) – But God told Balaam, “Do not go with them. You are not to curse these people, for they have been blessed!”
- Did God change His mind? – Numbers 22:18-20 (NLT) – But Balaam responded to Balak’s messengers, “Even if Balak were to give me his palace filled with silver and gold, I would be powerless to do anything against the will of the Lordmy God. 19 But stay here one more night, and I will see if the Lord has anything else to say to me.”20 That night God came to Balaam and told him, “Since these men have come for you, get up and go with them. But do only what I tell you to do.”
- Balaam finally gets God to let him go with Moabites and get his big payday. But even though it may seem like you’re winning in an argument with God – you’re still losing. God will give you over to your sinful desires if you keep on bugging Him – Romans 1:24.
Whining and Complaining.
- Korah’s rebellion – Numbers 16:2-3 (NLT) – They incited a rebellion against Moses, along with 250 other leaders of the community, all prominent members of the assembly.3 They united against Moses and Aaron and said, “You have gone too far! The whole community of Israel has been set apart by the Lord, and he is with all of us. What right do you have to act as though you are greater than the rest of the Lord’s people?”
- They were murmuring and complaining – Numbers 17:1,5 (NLT) – Then the Lord said to Moses … “Buds will sprout on the staff belonging to the man I choose. Then I will finally put an end to the people’s murmuring and complaining against you.”
Partial obedience/the “everything but” syndrome.
- Matthew 19:16-22 (NKJV) – Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” … Jesus said “keep the commandments.” … 20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth, What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him,“If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
Flat out disobedience.
- Rebellion is, by far, the greatest argument against the ways of God. One of the most rebellious places ever was Sodom and Gomorrah – Genesis 18:20 (NLT) – So the Lord told Abraham, “I have heard a great outcry from Sodom and Gomorrah, because their sin is so flagrant.
- 1 Samuel 15:23a – For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.
Arguing with God in winning.
- Exodus 33:15-17 (NLTV) – Then Moses said, “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place. 16 How will anyone know that you look favorably on me—on me and on your people—if you don’t go with us? For your presence among us sets your people and me apart from all other people on the earth.” 17 The Lordreplied to Moses, “I will indeed do what you have asked, for I look favorably on you, and I know you by name.”
- Moses had the right relationship with God to argue with Him – Exodus 33:11 (NLT) – Inside the Tent of Meeting, the Lordwould speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.
There are two kinds of people in world – “if” people and “when” people.
- If people require you to respond to their fleshly arguments. “When” people are moldable, adaptable people according to the will of God. Moses was a “when” type of person – Exodus Chapter 3 and 4.
- And when you are a “when” person, God’s grace is available to MAKE you succeed.
So challenge Jesus with all of your concerns as you hear His voice and determine His will for your life. Be real but also be willing to do what Jesus wants you to do; not more and not less.
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – dhfirstag.org
- July 2023
- June 2023
- January 2022
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2018
- Losing Your Life in Christ to Save It (and Others too) July 23, 2023
- Deliverance Made Simple July 9, 2023
- Why Don’t People Listen?? June 25, 2023
- When the Son Becomes a Father – 6/18/2023 June 18, 2023