Anointing vs Gifts
We all have giftings.
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 – There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
- Gift – charisma – The gift is that, a gift of divine grace – something someone receives without their own merit, their own doing.
- And it is meant to be used for the advancement of the Kingdom of God.
The giftings aren’t always used for the glory of God.
- The gifts and the calling don’t require change/repentance – Romans 11:29 – For the gifts and the calling of God areirrevocable (can never be withdrawn).
But what is the anointing?
- 1 John 2:27 (NKJV) – But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.
- Anointing – chrisma – smeared on, ointment – anointing inaugural ceremony for priest (Exodus 40:15) and kings (1 Samuel 16:13).
- It is a special endowment of the Holy Spirit to do a particular ministry.
- Under the New Covenant, this anointing comes from within.
And why does the Word of God represent “the anointing” with olive oil?
- Gethsemane, derived from Aramaic meaning “oil press,” is an urban garden at the foot of the Mount of Olive, is our example.
- Why olive oil? Because the olives must be crushed to produce oil. Likewise, our trials and tribulations allow our flesh to be crushed – causing growth in our anointing.
- The anointing cost something – Psalms 51:17 (NLT) – The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God. Psalms 34:18 tells the Lord near those in this place.
- 2 Corinthians 4:7-9 (NKJV) – But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. 8We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed
- The treasure is God’s glory, His anointing.
It’s the anointing that changes things – not the gifts.
- Isaiah 10:27 – It shall come to pass in that day that his burden will be taken away from your shoulder, and his yoke from your neck, and the yoke will be destroyed because of the anointing oil.
- Mark 6:13 – And they cast out many demons and healed many sick people, anointing them with olive oil.
- James 5:14 – Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord.
- Acts 10:38 – How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him (Luke 4:18).
- The anointing represents the Holy Spirit and, subsequently, the power of God and causes supernatural things to happen.
- Christ means the “anointed one.”
And when the anointing meets the giftings, then you got something!
- While the gifts are released by faith, the anointing is released thru compassion/love – Matthew 14:14 – And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick.
- In fact, the gifts without the anointing, are useless for the kingdom of Heaven – 1 Corinthians 13:2 – And though I have the gift ofprophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
- The anointing is what the world needs this now more than ever!
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – dhfirstag.org
- January 2022
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2018