All Hallow Eve
The origins of Halloween.
- Early-on in the Roman Catholic Church, All Martyrs Day was celebrated in the month of May.
- In the 9th century the festival was moved to November 1st and renamed to All Saints (or Hallow) Day. Thus the name “Halloween” had come into existence.
- No doubt this was done to appease the Celts and their festival called Samhein. The Celts believed that the veil between the living and the dead was at its thinnest point and spirits of the dead needed to be warded off.
- Romans 14:5-6 (NKJV) – One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
Modern day Halloween (and witchcraft).
- The change from All Martyrs Day to All Saints Day was significant.
- Saints are dead people in Catholicism – significant because of Celtic traditions of evil spirits roaming the earth
- Halloween has become a favorite amongst American holidays.
- Still the most holiest day of the year for occultist (witches and satanist).
The Churches response.
- Ephesians 6:11-12 – Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- Top of Form
- Bottom of Form
- We are the chosen people to confront evil – 1 Peter 2:9 – But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special (peculiar) people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
Should we be fearful of Halloween, well yes and no.
- Yes if – Deuteronomy 18:10-11– There shall not be found among you [any one] that makes his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, [or] that use divination, [or] an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, 11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
- Revelation 21:8– But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burn with fire and brimstone: which is the 2nd
- But no – 2 Timothy 1:7– For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
We are called to change culture, not be changed by it!
- Deuteronomy 28:13 (NLT)- If you listen to these commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you today, and if you carefully obey them, the Lord will make you the head and not the tail, and you will always be on top and never at the bottom.
- The Ecclesia, the Church, has gotten too comfortable with the culture instead of becoming the change agent in culture.
- No weapon formed against us will prosper, it will not work – Isaiah 54:17.
Love compels us to win the world, not hide from it!
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – dhfirstag.org
- July 2023
- June 2023
- January 2022
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2018
- Losing Your Life in Christ to Save It (and Others too) July 23, 2023
- Deliverance Made Simple July 9, 2023
- Why Don’t People Listen?? June 25, 2023
- When the Son Becomes a Father – 6/18/2023 June 18, 2023